Sunday, November 26, 2006

Good News: A Celebration of the Birth of the Savior

I'm directing the Christmas Program at my church. I'm seeing, feeling, and learning a lot of different things from this experience.

At church this morning I was forced to do something I'm not very comfortable doing. I had to stand in front of the congregation and ask for their help with the program. 200 pairs of eyes staring at you displaying no emotion is a little intimidating. Are they listening or day dreaming? (If it were me, I'd probably be doing the latter.) Do they understand what I'm asking? Do they care? Is that the look of interest or boredom on their faces? Now I see what pastors and teachers go through. I can only trust that God accomplished what He wanted to accomplish by forcing me to stand before that crowd.

All the time I was at church I felt excited and calm about the Christmas program. The Lord was bringing people to be a part of it, the kids were doing well with their music, roles were almost totally filled. "I guess I'm on schedule." But once I got home fear took over. "I'm not motivated to do this." "This is too difficult." "Why can't someone else handle the program?" "I'm so far behind on what needs to be done."" I wish I didn't have to deal with any of this!" Why did my emotions suddenly change? At church I'm calm. At home I panic. And yet, I feel like God has got this in control. But is there a detail I'm missing...

I miss my days in college when I directed plays and was sure of what I was doing. When I had visions and dreams that were not easily shattered by the lack of enthusiasm in others. When I actually had a production team to share the load. Why have I changed?...Have I changed?

I fear that many Christians do not truly understand what it is to put your neck out on the line for the Lord. To put yourself out there in a way that could possibly break you. I know that the Lord is the one truly directing this program. That's what makes it hard, because sometimes His ideas and my ideas conflict. And then I have to let go of my plans and follow His. The trouble is He only shows me His plans step by step, while I have everything planned out, right to the standing ovation at the end.

That's O.K though. As long as I realize God is really the one directing the program I can readily let go of my suggestions each time He shows me His.

Merry Christmas...early.

No comments: