Saturday, December 09, 2006

Scrape...Scrape...

Winter is finally here in Ohio.

There was a prediction of a ton of snow and a huge snowstorm for Northern Ohio, but we never received it. Instead we received moderate snowfall common to Northern Ohio winters. Good. It gives drivers a chance to adjust to the new skills needed to drive in snow/ice. It also allows those who have never had a car during the winter months of Ohio to see exactly what they need to survive. One key item being a Snow Scraper.

Oh the glories of winter! Seeing your car encased in an igloo of snow is something that people in the Southern parts of the United States will never quite grasp. It's kind of funny. Sometimes I like to sit inside my car igloo and laugh about the suddenly private closet I have with the windows all covered in snow. It's also fun to sit in the car and watch as snow is being scraped off the car (by someone else) and pockets of light start to peek through the darkness. It's like suddenly seeing a brand new world revealed one scrape at a time.

Unfortunately, I don't get to see many of those "new world" revealing moments because I am usually the one scraping the snow off of the car. Don't feel bad for me. One of my favorite things to do in the wintertime is to scrape the snow (and ice) off of my car windows. I'm not joking. I find it kind of fun.

I think that scraping snow off your car is one of those activities tha fits every mood. If you are joyful and happy you may have fun swishing the snow and watching the small particles whip through the air as the windows start to become clear. If you are angry the scraping of ice becomes strangely satisfying as you grind it off of your car. If you are cold what better way to warm up than to scrape snow off of your car. Let's face it, the car heater won't warm you for at least ten minutes. The scraping exercise will get your blood pumping. If you're in a hurry...um...uh...you might just want to use the windshield wipers and drive a car igloo with eyes. Don't be surprised, though, to see others laughing at the strange site of your car. If you're in a humorous mood do what I usually do: wipe off all of the windows and the hood, but leave a Snow Afro on the top of the car. Depending on how high the snow is, this will also make other drivers laugh.

What a marvelous tool the Snow Scraper is! I praise the Lord for whoever invented it, and I praise Him for the fun that can be had using it.

No comments: