Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
~ Proverbs 3:5-6
I think this is going to be my verse to cling to for awhile.
God is doing something in my life right now that I have no explanation for. All I can do is turn to Him.....and trust. I'm nervous. I'm excited. I'm confused. I'm confident. With so many emotions running through me I can't trust myself, so all I can do is trust the Lord.
Easier said than done.
It's not fun having our faith tested. I don't like not knowing. I don't like being uncomfortable. But that's all a part of trusting God.
Two examples:
1) This weekend I went on a Young Adult Retreat at my church. The theme of the retreat was "Building Genuine Relationships." During one of the Sessions my pastor used an example that is still burning strong in my head and heart. He compared trusting God to the scene in the Indiana Jones movie where Indy has to step off of a cliff onto an invisible bridge in order to get to the prize awaiting him on the other side. The first step is the scariest and involves the most trust. You can't see the bridge, all you can see is a dark deep chasm that would be frightening to fall into. When God calls us to trust Him He wants us to not focus on the scary chasm but to step off of the cliff in faith and trust that the invisible bridge will be there to hold us. An interesting thing is that once you step off the cliff, each progressive step involves more trust but the trusting becomes easier.
2) The last thing we did at the Retreat was tour a place called Nelson's Ledges. At these ledges I got to put my faith into action. I do not like heights. Mountains and cliffs terrify me when I am near their edges. So why was I at this park and excited to be there? Because I wanted to experience the wonderful points of the park. I wanted to hang out with the other Young Adults, I wanted to see the beauty of God's creation through the formation of these amazing ledges, I wanted to experience the excitement of doing something a little scary and dangerous. Yes, I had my terrifying moments. The team chose to go on the difficult path instead of the easy path. We climb up and down rocks and walked between tall ledges. The group eventually did split and half of us went to the easy path while the rest of the team continued through the difficult path. This was not a bad thing. The Lord blessed each group. My group got to see a beautiful waterfall. The other group got to see a cave called the Icebox, so named because the temperature is always very cold in it no matter what the time of the year. My point is that I was uncomfortable for a lot of the time standing on the edges of these cliffs but I loved the experience. Trusting the Lord right now in my life will be somewhat like this. There will be moments of uncomfortableness, but there will also be tons of waterfall moments, and that's what I can't wait to experience!
O.K., I've already accomplished the scariest part and stepped onto the invisible bridge. Now I just have to trust the Lord, one step at a time.
Home
-
Obviously I haven't been good about blogging while in Korea. I was
incredibly busy and I generally stopped blogging or journaling altogether.
Well, as of M...
8 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment