Thursday, October 26, 2006

Mistaken Identity

This morning I was walking to Starbucks when I noticed a lady staring at me. As we approached each other she said, "I'm sorry, I thought you were So and So, you look just like her. I didn't mean to stare." That statement got me thinking about the NUMEROUS times people have mistaken me for another person. I used to think this was a normal occurance for everyone, but now I'm beginning to wonder...

When I worked as a waitress for a year I was told by at least three people that I looked just like someone they knew. Only one actually mistakened me for that other person. I have been approached on the street on various occassions and asked if I knew so and so because I looked just like them. (As if looking like someone automatically means that you must know them.) There also have been the times when I have been mistaken for my sister. We do look like we're related but we don't look like twins. Yet, people who meet us for the first time ask if we are twins. And people who have known us for awhile still are confused about which one we are when they see us apart. Hmm...I should ask my sister if she is constantly mistaken for someone else by strangers.

Does this sort of thing happen to anyone else out there....often?

Just wondering.

No comments: