Friday, July 06, 2007

Back to Work

It's been awhile since I've written. Why? Because I've been busy....working an 8 to 5 job. Yup one of the various Temp agency's I've signed up with has finally gotten me a job. This job could last a month, it could last my whole time here in NZ. Only the Lord knows. I'm a receptionist for one of NZ's leading road construction companies Fulton Hogan. It's an interesting atmosphere. It's professional, but since they focus on road repair most of the staff walks around in jeans and bright orange vests. There's only 12 women working in a building full of over 50 employees. Yeesh! Yeah it's different. I'm learning so much about road repair and New Zealanders. Here's a snippet of what my days are sometimes like:

Conversation

(phone rings)

Me: Fulton Hogan Waikato, Tiana speaking.

Customer: Hi, I need to know about a stabilizing job.

Me: Sure, I'll transfer you to Gerald K.

(click)

Office Worker: Don't transfer them to him!! He'll just confuse them. He doesn't know what he's doing!

Me: But it says here that he works in Stabilizing.

Office Worker: Yeah, but he's incompetent. Give stabilizing calls to Glenn F.

(phone beeps - call has come back)

Me: Hi, Gerald doesn't seem to be answering his line, I'll transfer you to Glenn.

(click)

Office Worker: Good job. Give Glenn all the stabilizing calls. Never transfer to Gerald!!

(she leaves)

Me (to myself): What is stabilizing anyway!

Yup. My days are full of many strange conversations like that. It's a wacky environment. Another amusing event that happens at around 4:30pm everyday is the daily mail pickup by New Zealand Couriers. Each evening a red van pulls up in front of the glass entrance to the office. A guy with spiky hair and sun glasses pops out, opens the glass door...and that's when I hear it: music blasting from the van. This music isn't just loud, it's blaring. Once the doors open the whole building of FH Waikato can hear it!! He then picks up the mail. Says "Goodday." Opens the door and once again a burst of music fills the air. The door closes, he drives off, and I begin to laugh at the idea of a postal delivery vehicle rocking down the street.

Random
Same item, different words:
Twink=white out, binding coils=comb binds, smoko room=break room

I experienced my first New Zealand thunderstorm yesterday. It was different. Tropical rain blowing really hard sideways. Lightening sometimes without the sound of thunder. It was cool. Unfortunately, those storms also produced some tornados on the west coast south of Hamilton. Homes and buildings were destroyed, but amazingly no one was killed. Hmmm. And here I thought there were no Tornados in NZ. I guess now New Zealanders have something more to fear besides Tsunamis, Volcanic Eruptions, Earthquakes, and Pandemic Disease Outbreaks (huh?!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiana,
Your blogs make me smile! I love the details...the phone calls, the mail pick-up guy, the words....

Make lots of memories. You will keep them with you always.

Beware of those volcanic eruptions!

Wishing you happy days, productive work, and freedom from tornados, Tsunamis, Earthquakes and any disease outbreaks....

Smiles!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are chaotic but a lot of fun, too. Also, I have no idea what a comb bind is. Or stabilizing. Gee, my college education paid off!

Love,
Erica