Thursday, October 25, 2012

City Lights, Karaoke, and the Lake Effect

EVERY NIGHT when I leave work I see city lights in the distance. They are so bright that they beckon to me to come and explore; see the possibilities. Last week I gave in to that call and decided to take a detour on my way home. I just followed the lights. Boy was I surprised at what I found! Now, I'm about a 10 minute bus ride away from downtown, and that's where a majority of the lights are located. The city, the buildings, the stores, everything lights up at night. Imagine my surprised when I discovered a mini shopping/restaurant 'city' area right next door to my neighborhood. All I had to do was cross the river. Once I crossed the bridge over the river and followed the underground tunnel I entered a place full of life and energy. There were restaurants everywhere. People everywhere. And taxis everywhere. I had a great time just looking in windows, attempting to read signs, and trying to dodge cars and taxi's (since there were no sidewalks). The area was probably only about four blocks deep and five blocks wide but it felt like I'd stepped into another world. I'm definitely going to go back and try one of the many wonderful restaurants I saw serving Korean food.

The underground tunnel that I had to take to cross the street.

Which way do I go? Left or Right?

Traveling up the stairs

The lights begin.

So many places. So many lights.

A view of the City 7 apartments.

After my 'city' exploration I crossed a romantic twilight bridge (when you see the photos you'll understand what I mean) and was back in my quiet residential neighborhood. I'm really enjoying the area where I live.


The romantic bridge

Back in my neighborhood.

LAST FRIDAY my bosses decided to take all of the staff out to dinner. It was kind of a welcome to me and my coworker and a good-bye to our secretary, who was leaving to explore new job opportunities. We went to a Korean Barbecue located in City 7 Mall. At a Korean barbecue you cook the food at the table. I loved the experience. The food was great and I had fun with my coworkers. Also, I learned the proper way to cook food at the table.

First, the waiter brings the hot coals.

Next, they add the cooking tray.

Now, you add some meat and veggies.

Cut up the meat with scissors into bite-sized pieces.

Have some Kimchi Jigae (Stew) on the side if you desire.
Don't forget the panchan (side dishes).
Put them in a lettuce leaf with the meat and stuff the whole thing in your mouth.

Sophie, the Secretary. It was her last day. :(
Jessie, one of the Korean Teachers. 

Wilhelm, the other Western Teacher at my school. He's from South Africa.

My Employers Esther and Donald


Here's the restaurant. Those snake-like things are vents for the smoke as the food cooks.

Afterwards we went to a Noraebang (Karaoke Room) and sang some songs together. This is typical Korean fun. Hanging out and singing together. I loved it. Well, I love to sing. But I also love to dance. I decided that since we were in our own room and lights were flashing everywhere I would dance. So I did. My coworkers and bosses probably thought I was goofy but I didn't care I was having fun!
The City 7 Noraebang

Hi!

Dancing all by myself.


ON SUNDAY I went to church and a Bible Study afterwards. Good time of spiritual refreshment. Then I decided to visit Yongi Park and Yongi Lake near downtown.  I walked around Yongi Park and took pictures of historical statues and structures. It's hard to believe that these items were around thousands of years ago. The USA is so young compared to Korea so I'm not used to walking through a park and seeing statues that are thousands of years old as park decoration.

Cool statue at the entrance to Yongi Park.
 
This was at the entrance to the park.

Ancient Statues





After the stroll through the park I decided I wanted some Cold Stone ice cream. Yes Cold Stone Creamery is in South Korea! My  boss told me it was located near the lake. Actually he said it was behind Burger King. I remember stumbling across Burger King during my last exploration of downtown so I decided I would try to find it and then find Cold Stone from there. Well, half an hour later, I almost gave up my search for this delicious ice cream when I discovered it wasn't directly behind Burger King (and it took me awhile to find that place). But I stumbled upon it eventually. Yay! And it was everything I hoped it would be.

I saw Starbucks and just had to take a picture of the name in Korean.
 
Cool Fountain I saw as I wondered through the city.
 
See. Cold Stone is in Korea.

Founder's Favorite. Delicious!

I took my ice cream and sat but the lake and watched the sun set. It was nice and relaxing.

Yongi Lake

Decorations for the Changwon Festival which is happening this weekend.


The lake at night.

 

1 comment:

Cara said...

Cool! Love it sis. Also, I can see why you said Rodney Mckay :p cheers!