Sunday, August 12, 2007

Drove to the Country Today


Sometimes when you're in a city for a long time you just need some fresh country air. I don't think I've quite felt this way in the States, but here in beautiful New Zealand I feel it strongly. Both Cara and I get antsy when we're in the city dealing with city things and city people. When we can't bare it any longer we go for a drive to the countryside. It's not very hard since the country is only about a 10 minute drive away from Hamilton. We drive with no particular destination, we just go. The countryside is beautiful. The rolling hills. The grazing animals. The clouds. The rainbows. The mountains. Usually when we drive we head towards the mountains. They are like beacons of hope that signify an escape away from all the busyness of the city. As we drive the day's troubles just melt away.

So where did we drive today? To Mount Pirongia. When we got in the car we didn't plan to head there. We just began to drive and somehow ended up on the road to Pirongia. Once we were on the road we didn't want to stop so we kept going until we reached the entrance to a walking trail on the mountain. One day we will walk that trail but not today. The rain in Hamilton keeps preventing us from doing this.

I'm so thankful to have a car to use to drive to the countryside. I feel like it's the part of New Zealand we really came to see. Hamilton pretty much seems similar to some of the cities in the States. Lots of people, lots of cars, lots of stress. It's nice to get away from that every once in a while. Some people will find it strange that we just drive with no apparent destination. But hey, we've been doing that in our lives ever since we decided to follow the Lord to New Zealand. We don't know where we're going or what we're doing in our lives as we live in New Zealand, but we just follow the Lord step by step and let Him work out the details of our destination, It's funner that way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will life my eyes to the mountains from whence cometh my help. That came to mind while reading your latest blog. As we all know, the Lord leads you to where He wants you to be. The two of you are His loyal servants.

Continue to take those roads to "somewhere" and you will find His peace.

Love and prayers to you both.

Anonymous said...

As you can tell, I meant "lift" my eyes...