Thursday, February 08, 2007

Lots To Do

Sometimes being a procrastinator really stinks!

I am almost 2 1/2 months away from heading to New Zealand and there is still lots to do. My sister and I sat down weeks ago and made a game plan of what needed to be done week to week and we have barely followed our plan. Wait. I'm wrong. We've partly followed our plan. At the beginning of January we had to get another copy of our Birth Certificates so that we would have one in NZ and one in the USA. We looked up what we needed to do online and when we found out that we didn't have to go to City Hall but could request one in the mail we thought, "Sweet. We'll do that." Hasn't happened yet. We looked up travelers insurance. Found a good one at a good price, but we have yet to set a date for when we are going to purchase it. We wrote a packing list of what we need to bring. Have I looked at or added to that list since weeks ago? Nope. Right now, I'm not quite sure where it even is. Now it's February and we need to start looking at apartment and job hunting in NZ. Cara's been looking at apartments, I'm supposed to look at how to apply for jobs online. Um, haven't started that yet. And there's still so much more to do.

Part of the problem is that I'm a procrastinator and a perfectionist. This creates a ton of problems. Because I want everything to be perfectly planned for New Zealand I easily get overwhelmed with the amount that needs to be done. Now, it's ridiculous to think everything will be perfectly planned. Where's the trust and help from the Lord if I try to plan everything with the hopes that everything will go completely perfect? So then my mind says, "Yup. Things won't possibly be exactly perfect so you might as well not start." Add that to a tendency to not even be motivated to start until I'm actually under pressure to finish at the last instant (procrastination), and you get disaster.

It's only by the grace of God that I will overcome my perfectionist/procrastinator attitude and do what needs to be done. And only by His mercy will He bless me despite my failure to do some of those things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sigh, I'm like this too. (I know; you're so shocked!)

I'm gonna be home Friday evening, so we can chat. Yay!

-Erica